BulletL

FIX WASTELAND - 1000 Words because I care

BulletL    77

Alright, here we go, I will do the honors and tackle this head first. In this post I will outline and explore the issues regarding the Wasteland server and I will propose optimal solutions in order to fix the server and help recreate the fun, populated Wasteland Server we all know and love. Myself and many others would like to see this positive change as the server can currently be much better.

Once again I would like to start by reminding you that I don’t own a stake in StrayaGaming, I don’t gain anything other than fun from the server success. Bluntly the Wasteland server is not fun anymore and has lost its charm. This is due to the poor server performance and additional implementations/restrictions.

So at one stage people were unhappy that keep getting killed by Vehicles? Why?

Reality was everyone complaining was sitting down camping in the gun store? No one had the realisation “Ohhh that’s a bad idea let's try something else?” People can get weapons through the missions too? Unfortunately others saw this and took it the wrong way and removed vehicle functionality? This ultimately impinges upon the integrity of the player base. In reality, a squad can’t be everywhere at the same time, people need to split up. There is always a way in Wasteland and I have never found myself in a dead end with 0 options.

2 Primary issues as follows:

• Server Performance is terrible - limited view range impinges upon PVP Gameplay.

• Gameplay has deviated from a KOTH Style across map deathmatch to a restricted grinding simulator.

How can we fix this?

Revert back to vanilla and build up from the bottom, only put required scripts and remove anything which doesn’t positively contribute to the gameplay. This will also help resolve the current state of the gameplay.

As mentioned the gameplay is not fun anymore and has deviated from the original KOTH style across map deathmatch. This is a large reason as to why the dedicated playerbase has left, there is nothing fun to do anymore, proper fights have been removed. Vehicle use has been “balanced” to a point that is beyond ridiculous.

Grinding the game for money provides you with a currency in which you can use to purchase tools that will help you get more money. This right here is what has disappeared. You grind to get money which you can use to purchase ineffective vehicles and other useless tools???

People want to be able to spend 100k on a jet that can get 50-100 kills, people don’t want to spend 100k on a jet that will get shot down because AA costs under 10k for the launcher and 6 rockets, additionally you can position yourself anywhere on the map, you can be in a ghillie and hide away, what chance is a jet going to have? They are loud and noisy, can only rearm on the landed on ground which they are vulnerable and susceptible to random spawn solo vehicle rams and across map AT. AA Tanks cost cost less than half the price and can smoke a jet.

Logically, why use air if it is useless? “The level of difficulty to spot players who may have ghillies and are masked with so much terrain in comparison to a loud Jet which you can hear and identify from so far. You can be hiding anywhere and all you need is an average backpack or 2 well-placed AA rockets to rip apart a Jet. Imagine 3-4 players all with AA part of a nice big Opfor Squad Each with backpacks full of AA.” Air is unbalanced because much of it is effective at long range only, therefore changing playstyle is required and much skill is needed to make use of the purchase. I also think that rearm should be free, people should be able to infinitely rearm such as in KOTH. The gamemode needs to reflect balancing of KOTH to bring the fun aspects into existence. Many may not understand but when you get pounded by a infinitely armed mortar the adrenaline that comes with the unexpected attack and the strategy involved to take it out was amazing(never really used mortars that much). The fight to hold the airfield and maintain air superiority was amazing, then if you had a jet on your team you had to protect it every time it had to rearm.  There should also be a bank wipe with such changes.

3D spotting is also gone, as are thermals, how do you spot hidden ground players now in vehicles? If they are not in open areas near high risk areas what can you? Vehicles are bigger and make noise when they move. Handheld AA and AT just gets better and better. You spend plenty of money on expensive vehicles that are almost useless. Once again we must look at KOTH to realise how far we have deviated from the style once replicated in Wasteland.

(Other issues and their solutions)

Additional Issues brought up by other veterans:

- “AA/AT compact launchers too cheap

-Verona launcher should be cheaper, ammo needs to be expensive ~ $1500per

- OP Gunstore bases designs. (prevents new player progression) needs build item limit within gunstore radius

- Increase vehicle storage +1

- Fix pawnee flare and radar”

Thank you for reading, I hope that these changes are taken into consideration and greater help is provided to allow the server to be max population again. I have spent time writing this because I care, please don’t respond with a thoughtless comment that adds no value to this thread.

1,000 words because I care...

• Like 4
  • feelsretardedman 1
  • <3 1
  • thinking3d 2

• 2 hours ago, BulletL said:

Alright, here we go, I will do the honors and tackle this head first. In this post I will outline and explore the issues regarding the Wasteland server and I will propose optimal solutions in order to fix the server and help recreate the fun, populated Wasteland Server we all know and love. Myself and many others would like to see this positive change as the server can currently be much better.

Once again I would like to start by reminding you that I don’t own a stake in StrayaGaming, I don’t gain anything other than fun from the server success. Bluntly the Wasteland server is not fun anymore and has lost its charm. This is due to the poor server performance and additional implementations/restrictions.

So at one stage people were unhappy that keep getting killed by Vehicles? Why?

Reality was everyone complaining was sitting down camping in the gun store? No one had the realisation “Ohhh that’s a bad idea let's try something else?” People can get weapons through the missions too? Unfortunately others saw this and took it the wrong way and removed vehicle functionality? This ultimately impinges upon the integrity of the player base. In reality, a squad can’t be everywhere at the same time, people need to split up. There is always a way in Wasteland and I have never found myself in a dead end with 0 options.

2 Primary issues as follows:

• Server Performance is terrible - limited view range impinges upon PVP Gameplay.

• Gameplay has deviated from a KOTH Style across map deathmatch to a restricted grinding simulator.

How can we fix this?

Revert back to vanilla and build up from the bottom, only put required scripts and remove anything which doesn’t positively contribute to the gameplay. This will also help resolve the current state of the gameplay.

As mentioned the gameplay is not fun anymore and has deviated from the original KOTH style across map deathmatch. This is a large reason as to why the dedicated playerbase has left, there is nothing fun to do anymore, proper fights have been removed. Vehicle use has been “balanced” to a point that is beyond ridiculous.

Grinding the game for money provides you with a currency in which you can use to purchase tools that will help you get more money. This right here is what has disappeared. You grind to get money which you can use to purchase ineffective vehicles and other useless tools???

People want to be able to spend 100k on a jet that can get 50-100 kills, people don’t want to spend 100k on a jet that will get shot down because AA costs under 10k for the launcher and 6 rockets, additionally you can position yourself anywhere on the map, you can be in a ghillie and hide away, what chance is a jet going to have? They are loud and noisy, can only rearm on the landed on ground which they are vulnerable and susceptible to random spawn solo vehicle rams and across map AT. AA Tanks cost cost less than half the price and can smoke a jet.

Logically, why use air if it is useless? “The level of difficulty to spot players who may have ghillies and are masked with so much terrain in comparison to a loud Jet which you can hear and identify from so far. You can be hiding anywhere and all you need is an average backpack or 2 well-placed AA rockets to rip apart a Jet. Imagine 3-4 players all with AA part of a nice big Opfor Squad Each with backpacks full of AA.” Air is unbalanced because much of it is effective at long range only, therefore changing playstyle is required and much skill is needed to make use of the purchase. I also think that rearm should be free, people should be able to infinitely rearm such as in KOTH. The gamemode needs to reflect balancing of KOTH to bring the fun aspects into existence. Many may not understand but when you get pounded by a infinitely armed mortar the adrenaline that comes with the unexpected attack and the strategy involved to take it out was amazing(never really used mortars that much). The fight to hold the airfield and maintain air superiority was amazing, then if you had a jet on your team you had to protect it every time it had to rearm.  There should also be a bank wipe with such changes.

3D spotting is also gone, as are thermals, how do you spot hidden ground players now in vehicles? If they are not in open areas near high risk areas what can you? Vehicles are bigger and make noise when they move. Handheld AA and AT just gets better and better. You spend plenty of money on expensive vehicles that are almost useless. Once again we must look at KOTH to realise how far we have deviated from the style once replicated in Wasteland.

(Other issues and their solutions)

Additional Issues brought up by other veterans:

- “AA/AT compact launchers too cheap

-Verona launcher should be cheaper, ammo needs to be expensive ~ $1500per

- OP Gunstore bases designs. (prevents new player progression) needs build item limit within gunstore radius

- Increase vehicle storage +1

- Fix pawnee flare and radar”

Thank you for reading, I hope that these changes are taken into consideration and greater help is provided to allow the server to be max population again. I have spent time writing this because I care, please don’t respond with a thoughtless comment that adds no value to this thread.

1,000 words because I care...

Amazing words mah man, i too believe this server needs a change

• Like 1

LuckyB33f    1287

Thanks for the input on wastelands,

Before I make a statement on this, I know I have not been the most active over the last 5 months but I don't a agree if somethings and agree with others... I am also disappointed this isn't 1000 words but instead it is 940 words... but I'll over look this for now ?

Jets: "People want to be able to spend 100k on a jet that can get 50-100 kills"  no-ones wants to be getting bombed over and over by jets... This idea would cause most players to leave the server... I would leave if i was just getting bombed...

Server Performance: "poor server performance" I agree this can always be improved, we have recently started WL server files from the start is old and needs a new frame work something we can't spare as we don't have enough devs to do this.... but fixing up the performance is something we will always work on...

Thermals: "3D spotting is also gone, as are thermals" - 3D mapping I dunno whats been changed there so I have no comment but thermals... Thermals are just a shit players option for everything... it offers no skill... this is a double edge blade request...

• Like 1
    • thinking3d 1

4 hours ago, LuckyB33f said:

Jets: "People want to be able to spend 100k on a jet that can get 50-100 kills"  no-ones wants to be getting bombed over and over by jets... This idea would cause most players to leave the server... I would leave if i was just getting bombed...

Server was doing fine with that  until ya mum got me banned for calling him out day in day out so he could kill it

CeeFar    585
    15 hours ago, LuckyB33f said:

Jets: "People want to be able to spend 100k on a jet that can get 50-100 kills"  no-ones wants to be getting bombed over and over by jets... This idea would cause most players to leave the server... I would leave if i was just getting bombed..

Idk people seemed to be pretty happy getting bombed when the server pop was constantly maxed and jets were absolute insanity wreckers. 

The thing on old WL was because jets were such an issue, it encouraged TEAM WORK to take them down. You'd have people set up a net of AA's, or contribute cash for someone to go buy an AA jet. 

People leaving when they are getting bombed are the minority. When I get killed repeatedly I keep at it until I achieve a desired outcome

• Like 2

zed    167

Literally everything @BulletL said was spot on, maybe instead of looking at what the "majority" wants you should consider the opinions of those who care about the server the most.

• Like 1
    • thinking3d 1
    • Haha 1

zed    167

To add to my prior statement, Wasteland should reward players who work together. For example a group of independent players who work together to claim the airfield should be able to buy jets which should be overpowered af. This would force players who are dedicated enough to find others in the community to play with, building online relationships. Consider it.

Unit_3397    712
    On 8/27/2018 at 10:34 AM, Eagle said:

To add to my prior statement, Wasteland should reward players who work together. For example a group of independent players who work together to claim the airfield should be able to buy jets which should be overpowered af. This would force players who are dedicated enough to find others in the community to play with, building online relationships. Consider it.

I love the idea of rewarding loyal players, but I fail to see a viable solution as most things considered, veterans don't need to be more overpowered than they already are. ?

On 8/19/2018 at 2:34 PM, BulletL said:

Gameplay has deviated from a KOTH Style across map deathmatch to a restricted grinding simulator.

All things considering, the servers pop is slowly rising...

Of course, if it should fall again, then I guess another overhaul of the server may be in order.

I agree that wasteland should be more deathmatch orientated than grinding simulator.

If I had the devs that could dedicate 100% of their time back in my day I imagined a very different style of wasteland one focused on skill and deatchmatch over grinding.

• No survival elements (food/ water/ fatigue~ leads deathmatch focus astray)
    • Fully coded/ balanced server events (events weren't necessarily balanced back in my day due to lack of coding) 
    • No thermals or unmanned vehicles (leads gameplay away from skill)
    • Low/ medium tier vehicles & all weapons dirt cheap while high end within reason  (perhaps nerfing of particular elements to balance those pesky high-end vehicles)
    • Spawn with 10k, earn 5k per capture, earn 10k per 20 minutes etc... (everyone rich = more balanced between new & long term players/ skill-based gameplay over grindfest)
    • 2 teams, with no faction bonuses or benefits
    •  Unique 'event' mission files/ server events such as Hardcore (first person only/ no crosshair etc) , tanks only, bolt action snipers only etc...

essentially I envisioned a skill based style deathmatch that attempted to find a balance between newcomers and long-term players. A form of play between fun/ tactics.

Imagine a new player to straya wasteland;

• Scoreboard showing veterans having over 50+ kills
    • exploring money grinding vs item costs
    • realizing that veterans have quite a bit more cash than they do
    • getting killed relentlessly by the same veteran/ veteran groups
    • starting off lone wolf trying to purchase stuff in stores guarded via air/ formidable force
    • etc...

Pretty off-putting I'd say ?

On 8/21/2018 at 12:07 AM, SoulStealer said:

Bring BACK MALDON enough space for everyone!

mmmm perhaps a li'll too much space? ?

On 8/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, nclem said:

jets were such an issue, it encouraged TEAM WORK to take them down. You'd have people set up a net of AA's, or contribute cash for someone to go buy an AA jet. 

People leaving when they are getting bombed are the minority. When I get killed repeatedly I keep at it until I achieve a desired outcome

The minority has the potential to become the majority.

Not all players have buddies that can team up together to help take down a threat, and for those that try, they are generally fronted with a formidable veteran squad utilizing both vehicles and tactics to their advantage. Yes, you can argue that's the point of the game, but as server owners they have to consider the li'll people. ?

• Like 2