Sign in to follow this  
Michael Steiner

Everyone's Fracking Opinions!

Just curious as to what everyone's opinions on fracking is (look up if you don't know what is) and as to why we in Australia haven't yet switched to nuclear energy. From research I found that we have roughly 33% of the world's uranium deposits and Couldn't find any reasons as to why we haven't gone to that alternative? If anyone has any in put please do put it down.

(And no this isn't an assignment I'm just curious :Kappa:)

• CeeFar    585

Because people have been told that "nuclear energy is bad" and associate the word nuclear with negative things, even though it's

- Cost effective

- For the most part environmentally friendly 

- only goes wrong if the people running the plant are absolute idiots (Or the plant was badly designed, see fukushima and chernobyl)

Another good option is Natural Gas, which we have HUGE deposits of but are for the most part untapped (although chevron is working to change that)

• Clap 1

Wex    429

From what I've read, the cost to build the nuclear plant is way to high and it's not going to be profitable due to the lower demand of electricity due to better efficiency, more regulations, and decline of heavy manufacturing in Australia. 

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nuclear-energy-is-still-a-stupid-idea-for-australia-20170316-guzb68.html

A bit off topic, but I've visited Lucas Heights for a school excursion and it was really interesting what they could do with a nuclear reactor for scientific and medical applications rather than being an energy source. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this