The Hopelessgamer

Fix the server

@James32 Fix the damn server. If you cant fix it and bring it back to how it originally was before you screwed up half the server files then there is a problem. The server is screwed. Bits of building laying around where it shouldn't be. Half ass'ed job of making the gun stores. Besides that taking away objects WONT increase the fps if there is 80 people. The more players the more lag you will get. The fact you deleted half the code and didn't fix it and wont fix it is ridicules. Fix the damn server or get someone else who can fix it if you cannot. 

• Screwed over vehicle spawning when purchasing vehicles. 
  • Spawn location of vehicles needs to be invincible in which they are not. Due to that i bought a jet and lost the jet because i couldn't get it out of the spawn hanger that had been blown up.
  • Gun store at the airfield is screwed up. Every other gun store on the map is in a building the one at the airfield is not. The walls are not locked server side therefor can be moved.
  • There are still issues with the vehicle storage system due to the fact you haven't made it automatically force save vehicles upon storing them resulting in them despawning in the vehicle storage on restart.
  • Lz baldy has got bits of objects and props out of place and floating. 

@James32 You were asked to change the map from Maldon back to Stratis... That took you 3 months to do.

@James32 You had been told to fix the map numerous times and have not yet fixed it.

@James32 Needs to either fix this server or get someone else in who can fix it because he clearly cannot.

@James32 Got recently promoted then broke the server and did nothing about it. Why would you promote someone when they have screwed up so much on the server? 

I & others from the community think the same that @James32 has broken the server and is refusing to fix it. Resulting in an unhappy community as well as deterring players from the server.

Solution:

Fix the server or get someone else in who can fix it.  And/or prevent @James32 from changing the server files.

@Unit_3397 @Ya Mum

Edited by The Hopelessgamer
  • Like 1
  • Dansgame 1
  • Triggered 2
  • reee 1
  • Haha 1

• Connor.    1352

I too believe @James32 is the devil and think @James32 should leave university to dedicate @James32's time to fixing the mess @James32 has created :thumbsup:

Real talk tho stock wasteland is pretty bad as is, I'll look at how hard it is to get a headless client going on wasteland.

• Like 1
    • lul 2
    • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Connor. said:

I too believe @James32 is the devil and think @James32 should leave university to dedicate @James32's time to fixing the mess @James32 has created :thumbsup:

Real talk tho stock wasteland is pretty bad as is.

honestly it used to be pretty good last year. When the map was working and where was 80 ppl on every day...

• Dansgame 1

Connor.    1352

I understand its frustrating but making it out like he should care more about straya than his own future isn't very smart. Like I said though, I'll look at a headless client cause wastelands biggest issue is AI, so move the AI load off the server and theoretically itl cope better.

• <3 1

Excel    828

wasteland.

flat,800x800,075,t.u2.jpg

Edited by Excel
    • Like 2

Nova    1779

maybe just maybe hes at uni and has IRL shit going on

but hey maybe he should prioritize fixing wasteland over doing well in uni

• <3 2

Fitz    1239

You seem pretty frustrated. I recommend a nice unflavoured thickshake to calm the nerves :wink: 

Also, making demands of people that volunteer their time isn't very nice. Submit a bug report instead of having a tanty. #whiteknight

Edited by Fitz
    • lul 3
    • Jebaited 1

Excel    828
    4 minutes ago, Fitz said:

You seem pretty frustrated. I recommend a nice unflavoured thickshake to calm the nerves. 

Also, making demands of people that volunteer their time isn't very nice. Submit a bug report instead of having a tanty. #whiteknight

latest?cb=20120520061121

• kkool 1
    • hahaa 1

25 minutes ago, Excel said:

You seem pretty frustrated. I recommend a nice unflavoured thickshake to calm the nerves. 

For an admin one would assume they would stay on topic and not go on about a previous arguement that happened six months ago.

The big argument i had in Slack about unflavored shakes @InfamousNova The one that Red booted me from Slack for. If any of you lot knew how the maccas machines worked you would probably have agreed with me. Though as i said stick to the topic at hand. 

• Wait What? 2

Nova    1779
    4 minutes ago, The Hopelessgamer said:

"If he cant do it get someone else in who can"

like? all our current devs are busy with their own servers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fitz said:

You seem pretty frustrated. I recommend a nice unflavoured thickshake to calm the nerves :wink: 

So your saying @James32 Is a bug who needs to be reported? IF i report the countless bugs and floors this server has James would winge and whine about the fact that fixing it or doing anything to the server will cause lag and i call bs on that. So as i mentioned countless times GET SOMEONE ELSE IN WHO CAN.

• Wait What? 3

10 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

like? all our current devs are busy with their own servers

@Dak Commstar Was put in the position of map editing. Though if he adds content to the server or tries to fix something @James32 Comes along and deletes it with a shit argument saying it will cause lag in which it will not. My Argument still stands, yours does not. Please try again. If @Dak Commstar and @James32 Is busy then start hiring some mod creators to help with the server. 

Nova    1779
    1 minute ago, The Hopelessgamer said:

@Dak Commstar Was put in the position of map editing. Though if he adds content to the server or tries to fix something @James32 Comes along and deletes it with a shit argument saying it will cause lag in which it will not. My Argument still stands, yours does not. Please try again. 

having a million objects on the map isnt exactly fixing anything nothing against dak i like the shit he makes aesthetically but performance wise... if james is deleting it theres probably a good reason behind it

8 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

having a million objects on the map isnt exactly fixing anything nothing against dak i like the shit he makes aesthetically but performance wise... if james is deleting it theres probably a good reason behind it

BS theres a good reason. I have seen Dak change up the gunstore at the airfield and he took a while on it to make it look good and then James went and deleted it. Happened more then 3 times. That shit wont cause lag. Besides that. Wtf is the difference if i go an add in some walls and 40 towers on the server? As a player i am allowed to go and buy 40 2 story metal towers and place them on the airfield if i wish. But daks not allowed to add in 1 buidling? gtfo. 

@InfamousNova Shit argument. Please try again.

Nova    1779
    15 minutes ago, The Hopelessgamer said:

For an admin one would assume they would stay on topic and not go on about a previous arguement that happened six months ago.

The big argument i had in Slack about unflavored shakes @InfamousNova The one that Red booted me from Slack for. If any of you lot knew how the maccas machines worked you would probably have agreed with me. Though as i said stick to the topic at hand. 

how to contradict yourself 101

• Haha 1

Nova    1779
    7 minutes ago, The Hopelessgamer said:

start hiring some mod creators to help with the server. 

how are mod creators gonna help with server performance in the mission file?

• thinking3d 1

Excel    828

33a70ab19ab82872629cebfa19a2a9a9.png

Fitz said that not me.

You made it look like i said it:

d7aa050df4fd13c94a084fbd26f96f5e.png

:feelsbadman:

Edited by Excel
    • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

how are mod creators gonna help with server performance in the mission file?

Simple. Give them permissions to the file and tell them to fix the mess that @James32 Created. OR a better idea. Delete @James32 Server mess and reupload a backup from 6 months ago when shit was working. 

James32    823

Hey,
    I appreciate the criticism and I definitely hear what you're saying however you need to take into account a plethora of  factors that affect the playerbase when making bold claims about the effect issues have on the server. Notably this is end of semester/year exam and as such is a major assignment period for a large fraction of people myself included which means people naturally have less time to play, we can consider the server's performance more accurately by waiting until the holidays are on and people have more time to play. Also i would point out that a year ago you were still on your 9 year ban so you could not have known the state of the server in any detail i should think.

What i do at uni requires a lot of time and concentration and coupled with IRL work and a bunch of other miscellaneous jobs within the community I've been working on for different people I haven't had as much time left over for WL dev recently as I would like. For this I do apologize however as you can appreciate my real life commitments must come first. It does not mean I am "refusing to fix the server" as you claim people believe, it simply means that I have a lot to do and have to prioritize my time, and unfloating a couple of props is not high on my list in terms of time to payoff ratio. Never once have i whinged at any constructive/accurate bug report or claimed that fixing bugs induces lag??? I dont see where you got this impression from. Having 1000 more live objects on the map is not a "bug fix" nor is removing non essential ones a bug. Floating objects or buildings missing is soemthing that is an issue/I do try to correct but you need to learn the fundamental distinction between a design/optimization decisions and a bug. I'm not saying all the objects was bricking the server, but having all those objects certainly didnt help on top of the horrible back end i'm trying to build off of and all of the AI induced issues. And while trying to make performance improvements I have been cutting out anything that is not functional/essential, both in the code and the map.
    As for the couple of significant issues with the map I have already corrected them but have been working on a bunch of other code changes in the back end to try and squeeze out some more performance and improve gameplay and have been waiting to apply the map fixes when i finish the rest of what i'm working on.

To directly adress your issues;

1. Spawn location of vehicles needs to be invincible - Not happening, would be abused. also consider what happens if you spawn multiple vehicles.
    2. Screwed over vehicle spawning when purchasing vehicles.  - I have not moved/modified any vehicle spawns
    3. There are still issues with the vehicle storage system due to the fact you haven't made it automatically force save vehicles upon storing them resulting in them despawning in the vehicle storage on restart.  - Interesting theory but i already tested this idea when someone told me and it is not the cause of the issue despite what you may have convinced yourself. Furthermore the issue with the storage system has existed since our move to 1.3 and is an issues with base wasteland, not anything I have done, and the cause has been eluding me

Once I've finished uni for the semester in a couple of weeks i'll have 3months holiday where i'll have far more time to commit to server related development/experience improvement. Connor and I also have plans to attempt using a headless client to offload AI processing; since that accounts for a large performance drain on the server and coupled with the general poor writing of the underlying wasteland mission file it end up amounting to a lot of load on the server which also impacts client performance.

In future if you have issues or complaints or feedback feel free to shoot me a PM on the forums as i get notified about them. Always happy for suggestions, if you find a bug feel free to make a post detailing the extent of it here:https://strayagaming.com.au/forum/28-bug-reports .Furthermore if you have a complaint about me or my conduct/wish to call into question my position in an official sense then I would recommend you make a staff feedback report using the support section(https://strayagaming.com.au/support/) instead of posting it onto the public forums.

• Like 1
    • Clap 2

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

Spawn location of vehicles needs to be invincible - Not happening, would be abused. also consider what happens if you spawn multiple vehicles.

Bs there are several buildings on the map that are invincible. You just are refusing to fix it. Vehicle store is invincible. Gunstores are invincible. Shit argument Please try again.,

Besides that you deleted the mission files instead of going into the editor and doing it properly resulting in a "Half Ass'ed Job" 

• Wait What? 1
    • reee 1
    • Vomit 1

Nova    1779
    Just now, The Hopelessgamer said:

Simple. Give them permissions to the file and tell them to fix the mess that @James32 Created. OR a better idea. Delete @James32 Server mess and reupload a backup from 6 months ago when shit was working. 

mod creators dont make mission files ay

how about you make a wasteland mission file and we'll see how that plays out since you seem to know so much about mission creation

• lul 1

Nova    1779
    1 minute ago, The Hopelessgamer said:

Bs there are several buildings on the map that are invincible. You just are refusing to fix it. Vehicle store is invincible. Gunstores are invincible. Shit argument Please try again.,

are you dumb? he said vehicle spawn locations. not buildings

Excel    828
    13 hours ago, The Hopelessgamer said:

Ok ok ok,

James has provided you nearly a 1000 word response and you go and blast at him saying its bullshit and a shit argument.

At least show some consideration, He is trying to help you out and work with you to fix the server by taking your suggestion.

He has much more important IRL things going on at the moment, be happy that he is looking at it and willing to give a response

Edited by Excel
    • Seems Good 1

5 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

mod creators dont make mission files ay

how about you make a wasteland mission file and we'll see how that plays out since you seem to know so much about mission creation

IF you wish i will lol. Its not hard considering wasteland is prebuilt and all you do is add onto it...